Additive Manufacturing (AM), or three-dimensional (3D) printing (3DP), is a relatively new approach to fabricating parts by adding material layer-by-layer in the precise shape of the part. AM is enabled by computer-generated 3D solid models of part designs, and high-precision computer control of 3D printing machinery. AM / 3DP of parts using a variety of plastic resins and even some metals can be done with machines that are small enough to fit on a desktop. The science and technology of AM / 3DP is rapidly advancing, enabling new techniques and new capabilities for higher precision, composite materials, fabricating multi-material electronic components, and medical breakthroughs such as 3D printed biomaterials and custom individual patient-specific implants and prosthetics made from a patient’s medical imaging files.
Additive manufacturing / 3D printing of advanced technical ceramics (ceramics additive manufacturing / ceramics 3D printing) with high precision is a more recent development. Marvel Medtech Advanced Manufacturing offers advanced technical ceramics additive manufacturing services / ceramics 3D printing services using the revolutionary patented NanoParticle Jetting (NPJ™) system from XJet Ltd. NPJ™ offers industry-leading dimensional precision and smallest feature-size capabilities along with other significant advantages and benefits for demanding technical ceramics additive manufacturing / ceramics 3D printing applications.
Redefining Ceramics Manufacturing with High-Precision Ceramics Additive Manufacturing / Ceramics 3D Printing
XJet’s NPJ™ technology offers an unprecedented level of accuracy, precision, and flexibility, enabling ceramics additive manufacturing / ceramics 3D printing of advanced technical ceramics parts with complex geometries and intricate internal details that are not achievable with any other ceramics manufacturing approach. Fully sintered advanced technical ceramics parts made with the XJet NPJ™ ceramics additive manufacturing / ceramics 3D printing process have physical and material properties that are on par with or better than parts made with legacy ceramics manufacturing approaches. These new NPJ™ ceramics additive manufacturing / ceramics 3D printing capabilities offer a whole new level of design freedom that is well-suited for demanding technical ceramics part applications such as medical, aerospace, energy, electrical, automotive and many other applications.
XJet Ltd Carmel 1400C Ceramic 3D Printing System featuring NanoParticle Jetting™ technology
Why NPJ for Ceramics Additive Manufacturing / Ceramics 3D Printing?
NPJ™ is XJet’s proprietary ceramics additive manufacturing / ceramics 3D printing technology that builds advanced technical ceramics parts layer-by-layer using an approach similar to inkjet printing on paper. Advanced technical ceramics solid nanoparticles are suspended in a liquid ink and jetted through high-precision print head nozzles onto the build tray in ultrathin (10 micron) layers. The heated print tray causes the liquid portion of the ink to quickly evaporate, leaving the solid ceramic particles precisely deposited in place. The utra-thin 10 micron build-layer thickness enables unprecedented high precision of fine details and smooth surface finishes. A water-soluble support ink is jetted at the same time, allowing parts with complex internal geometries and tiny features to be printed with high accuracy. When printing is completed, the support material is dissolved away in a controlled water bath and the green ceramic parts are sintered in the same way as typical / legacy-manufactured technical ceramic parts.
Key benefits of advanced technical ceramics parts made with XJet NPJ™ ceramics additive manufacturing / ceramics 3D printing include:
- Unprecedented design flexibility with intricate internal details and ultra-fine features that are not attainable with molding, machining, or other legacy manufacturing approaches
- Ultra-thin 10-micron layers empower industry-leading highest-precision and smallest feature size in advanced technical ceramics additive manufacturing / ceramics 3D printing
- High dimensional precision (±20 microns) with complex internal features and virtually unlimited design geometries including designs with feature sizes down to 100 microns—or smaller depending on design
- Advanced technical ceramics parts made with XJet NPJ™ ceramics additive manufacturing / ceramics 3D printing have isotropic properties that are equal to or better than legacy-manufactured ceramics: 99.9% density, isotropic uniformity, equal or better mechanical. electrical, chemical properties
- Fine grain size of the advanced technical ceramics nanoparticles suspended in ink allows for smooth surfaces and sharp edges as printed
- Highly efficient use of raw materials with minimal waste: Simultaneous jetting of advanced technical ceramic nanoparticles and support material in liquid suspensions delivers unrivaled operational efficiency
Our Advanced Technical Ceramics Additive Manufacturing / 3D Printing Capabilities
Marvel Medtech Advanced Manufacturing is one of the first companies in the US to adopt the XJet NPJ™ system for ceramics additive manufacturing / ceramics 3D printing of advanced technical ceramics. As an early adopter, Marvel Medtech Advanced Manufacturing has developed unique, proprietary insights, knowledge, and skill in using the XJet NPJ™ system. We have successfully expanded the capabilities limits of the XJet NPJ™ system through many challenging advanced technical ceramics applications for our customers.
Marvel Medtech LLC ceramic cryoprobe early proof-of-concept prototypes 3D printed with XJet Carmel 1400C system
- Advanced Technical Ceramics Materials – The following ceramics materials are currently available for technical ceramics additive manufacturing / ceramics 3D printing using the XJet NPJ™ system:
- Zirconia: TZ-3Y (Tetragonal Zirconia Oxide (ZrO2) partially stabilized with 3 Mol percent Yttria (Y2O3)) – A commonly used formulation known for its high compressive strength, high flexural strength and high fracture toughness.
- Alumina: High-purity (99.9+ %) Alumina Oxide (Al2O3) – Commonly used in high temperature and electrical insulation applications.
- Design for Additive Manufacturing (DFAM): We can provide expert design consultation and guidance to optimize your part design for best AM results.
- Rapid Prototyping: One of the key benefits of the additive manufacturing approach is the capability to produce prototypes of your advanced technical ceramics part designs very quickly without requiring a large investment in specialized tooling.
- Contract Manufacturing: Depending on part size and volume requirements, we can respond to your production requirements for AM of advanced technical ceramics parts, without requiring an investment in specialized tooling.
Key features of the XJet Carmel 1400C system for advanced technical ceramics additive manufacturing / ceramics 3D printing include:
- Print tray size: 500mm x 140mm
- Printable depth up to 200mm may be possible; printing parts up to 100mm in depth is more practical
- Sintering Shrinkage
- Alumina: 14.5% (isotropic)
- Zirconia: 17.8% (isotropic)
Key characteristics of advanced technical ceramics parts produced by Marvel Medtech Advanced Manufacturing:
- Dimensional Tolerances
- Dimensions <50mm: .02-.05mm (20-50 microns)
- Dimensions >50mm: .1mm (100 microns)
- Minimum wall thickness: 0.1mm (100 microns)
- Minimum hole diameter: 0.2mm (200 microns)
- Minimum radius: 0.15mm (150 microns)
- Surface Finish
- Alumina: 0.4 microns
- Zirconia: 20 microns
Popular Ceramic 3D Printed Parts
- Surgical tools
- Dental implants
- High-temperature insulation components
- High-temperature structural supports
- High-temperature bearings
- Heat exchangers for extreme temperature (hot or cryogenic) applications
- Cryogenic applications
- Electrical insulation components
- Laboratory tools and fixtures
- Consumer goods (cutting tools, heat insulation applications)
- Extreme temperature clamps and fixing supports
Contact Us for Your Advanced Technical Ceramics Additive Manufacturing / Ceramics 3D Printing Needs
Our unique expertise in using the XJet NPJ™ technology enables us to handle the most demanding development challenges for advanced technical ceramics. Our ceramics additive manufacturing services / ceramics 3D printing services offering entails working closely with you to understand your application requirements and provide guidance on optimizing part designs for best ceramics additive manufacturing / ceramics 3D printing results. Please visit our Request a Quote for Your Project page to receive a secure link for uploading your solid model file for our review, or contact us at 1-877-345-6261 or 1-608-688-0868 with your questions on advanced technical ceramics additive manufacturing / ceramics 3D printing.
XJet Carmel 1400C 3D Printer – Tray showing in-process zirconia ceramic parts
XJet Carmel 1400C 3D Printer – Calibration Test Bars