Advancements in Additive Manufacturing (AM) / 3D Printing of ceramics materials have expanded their use into the jewelry industry. In recent years, advanced ceramics like Alumina (Aluminum Oxide—Al₂O₃) and Zirconia (Yttria-Stabilized Zirconia—YSZ) have emerged as two popular materials for creating exquisite pieces of wearable jewelry. These materials exhibit excellent mechanical properties and a distinctive aesthetically pleasing appearance, and are hypoallergenic, biocompatible, lightweight, and so on. Attractive pieces of jewelry with geometrically complex shapes and features can be made from these materials using 3D printing / AM. At Marvel Medtech Advanced Manufacturing, we help our clients to maximize the use of advanced ceramics in the jewelry industry, enabling them to realize their unique creations of wearable art using XJet’s patented NanoParticle Jetting (NPJ) Technology. Contact us to learn more about Marvel Medtech Advanced Manufacturing’s jewelry industry capabilities!
Reasons to Use Alumina (Aluminum Oxide) and Zirconia to Make Jewelry
The following properties of High-Purity Alumina and Zirconia advanced ceramics make them popular with jewelry makers worldwide:
High-Purity Alumina (Aluminum Oxide—Al203)
- Aluminum oxide has a hardness of 14.5 GPa. It is crack resistant and more scratch resistant than most metals used for making jewelry. It is at least three times as hard as stainless steel.
- Exceptional hardness and scratch resistance make it an ideal choice for making wedding bands, engagement rings, wristwatch bands and bezels.
- Alumina is hypoallergenic and biocompatible, making it an ideal choice for jewelry for individuals concerned about allergies or sensitive skin.
- High-Purity Alumina has a clean-white appearance that provides a unique aesthetic quality for exquisite jewelry designs that can only be achieved with 3D printing / AM.
Zirconia (Yttria-Stabilized Zirconia—YSZ)
- Although heavier than Alumina, Zirconia is light-enough to be appropriate and comfortable for smaller pieces of fine jewelry.
- Zirconia features good mechanical properties, such as high hardness, appropriate for fine jewelry designs.
- Zirconia also has a clean-white appearance that offers a unique aesthetic quality for exquisite jewelry designs that can only be achieved with 3D printing / AM.
Specifications of 3D Printed Ceramics for Jewelry Applications
Marvel Medtech Advanced Manufacturing can provide AM / 3D printing of advanced ceramics for fine jewelry with the following specifications:
|Accuracy||±50 microns on dimensions up to 5mm
1% of larger dimensions up to ±100 microns
|Parts <5cm||.02-.05mm (20-50 microns)|
|Parts >5cm||.1mm (100 microns)|
|Minimum wall thickness||.1mm (100 microns)|
|Minimum radius||.15 mm (150 microns)|
|Surface Finish||N7 – N9 Surface finish|
|Maximum Printable Area (LxWxH)||50 cm x 14 cm x 10 cm|
Do you plan to explore advanced ceramics in the jewelry industry? Are you facing work challenges while using advanced ceramics in jewelry making? Marvel Medtech Advanced Manufacturing’s team of advanced ceramics AM experts can help you create and realize jewelry in complex, intricate designs. We can provide premium quality results, competitive pricing and quick turnaround times. Please visit our website to Request a Quote for Your Project, or call us today at 1-877-345-6261 or 1-608-688-0868 to explore the application of advanced ceramics in the jewelry industry.